Sometimes being a tourist can be a real pain. Crowded sightseeing attractions, unexpected bad weather and living out of your suitcase is no fun. Personally, I prefer “enjoying” my destination than falling into typical tourist traps. When I go somewhere I've never been before, I like to live like a local and trying the typical dishes in great charming restaurants and looking at nice views instead of standing in long lines and checking typical visitor boxes.
Of course sometimes going to a city’s iconic attractions is a must. For example, you should visit the Rockefeller Center or the Empire State Building while in New York; but you can skip the Natural History Museum if you're not into it. The key is to choose wisely, find the balance and plan everything so you can make the most of the place you're visiting. Vacations are made to be fun, not a time to be annoyed!
Don’t worry, Travelle has your back! Here are some tips for how to be a better tourist and have an enjoyable vacation!
- Buy tickets for iconic tourist attractions online. You will be spared from long lines and occasionally even save money.
- Choose the places you want to visit according to your interests. It’s your vacation, why go to places where you won’t fully enjoy yourself? You don’t have to see everything, you can always leave some surprises for next time!
- Download an offline map of the city you are visiting in advance. You may not have access to the Internet at all times and it will save you if you ever get lost.
- Buy a selfie stick and act like no one’s watching! Don’t feel judged using a selfie stick, because honestly it’s one of the best inventions out there.
- Become part of a photo team with other tourists! If you see someone struggling to take a picture of themselves, offer them a hand. They will probably do the same for you afterwards! You may only visit a beautiful place once but the pictures you have will last a lifetime.
- Dress appropriately for your destination. Keep in mind social cues and mannerisms and pack accordingly. You don’t want to stand out; unless it’s in a good way of course! Also, always opt for comfortable shoes. The cute ones can wait and I promise your feet will thank you.
- Try your best to travel light. If you get this down to a science, we can award you a trophy because it may be the hardest thing to get right. Plan your outfits by day - this will save you time in the morning as well as luggage space.
- Try all the new food you can, you may not know what you’ve been missing! Avoid eating at chain restaurants that you can find back home. They might be cool and delicious in the place where you live, but they're old news! Go to the local spots and expose yourself to new culinary adventures.
- Save your money for special souvenirs. Silly knick knacks will lack their luster back home. I try to keep it simple and personal such as a unique postcard. It’s all in the details.
I hope my experience with traveling can help you become a better tourist. Remember that you are one lucky lady to be able to explore and experience new places! Enjoy and always be grateful for these adventures.