For many of us, health and fitness conscious girls, summer vacation season can be a pretty scary time. After working hard all year to achieve that dream beach body, the prospect of being away from home where we can't prepare our own meals or even use the gym can be a bit worrying as we try to stay in shape.
I have some good news for you: with planning and the right attitude, there really is nothing to be afraid of!
Like I wrote in one of my personal blog posts "Green Juice Now, Champagne Later", the summer holiday season should feel like champagne after all the hard work you did. You earned this resting time, so buy that hot new bikini, make plenty of fancy restaurant reservations and be prepared for some fun and tan lines!
Just like with bubbles, moderation is the way to go, so follow easy steps to keep in shape and eat healthy while going away for the vacation you've been waiting for:
- If you eat out for all three meals day, try to eat healthy for two of them, and misbehave a bit (or all the way!) during the third if you feel like it. Traveling means trying new foods and enjoying the local cuisine, so there is no reason to miss out on all the culinary fun.
- It's usually easy to eat well and healthy for breakfast anywhere you go, as most hotels offer granola, yogurt, omelets and fresh juices, so take advantage of that delicious and guilt free food so you can save the less healthy meal for lunch or dinner.
- Be mindful of the portion sizes you are served and eat slowly to appreciate the amazing food on your plate. This way you will know when you are full, and keep in mind, there is no pressure to finish every bite they serve you if you've had enough!
- Snack with fruit so you are never starving. You can always carry an apple with you for when you get the munchies.
- If you feel like having a drink, try not to mix it with juices or other high calorie beverages. And of course don't go overboard.
- Last but not least, go for dessert only once a day (OK, if you are going to Italy you are allowed to have gelato twice a day, but keep in mind that sorbets are also delicious but healthier than creamy ice cream!)
- Bring a travel workout mat with you or borrow one from the hotel gym if there is one, and squeeze in a quick indoor or outdoor workout that won't interrupt your vacation fun.
The below summer workout routines I prepared for you will only take 10 minutes out of your day and it will help you keep your awesome shape. Even 3 minutes of planking or 30 push-ups in the morning could do the trick!
Finally, remember to enjoy yourself and the summer! Remember that after all the work you have been doing to prep yourself for the beach, vacation is not for losing weight. And I promise you that if you are committed and follow these simple steps, you will not mess with your progress.
Now, ENJOY and have an awesome vacation!